Thursday, April 19, 2012

You say you want a revolution......

Wow. What a difference a few months makes. I can now say that just a few months from now,  my entire life will be different. I have been accepted into a PhD. program! Yesterday I received a call telling me that I have been offered a full assistanceship, which will cover tuition and provide a small stipend. Wow. Over the next couple of months I will be quitting both of my jobs, one of which I have been at for seven years, the other for four. I will be returning to school after an eight year hiatus. I will be moving out of my apartment and in with my boyfriend officially. (My first time living with someone) I will be traveling back to Europe!! (Ah, Europa, I have missed you!!) I will be burying myself in books and articles in preparation. It is truly a revolution. How many chances do you have in life to start over?? I am grateful beyond words to the universe and those special souls who have helped me to unearth this path that awaits me. I am a huge believer that no man is an island, and realize every day that I have had some very special giants who have offered their shoulders to me.

It's funny. I have always considered myself a very independent person. I have taken care of myself and provided for myself for a very long time, but sometimes independence lends itself to foolish pride. Of course we need other people. What a lonely place this would be if we walked this world alone. That is not to say that there is not value to taking time for yourself and maintaining the relationship with your inner being. We cannot allow that relationship to lapse. It's all about balance, finding time for solitude and opening up to those who grace your life with their wisdom and love.

I have a lot to learn. I have a feeling this leap back into academia will teach me more than just communication theory. I expect it will teach me more about who I am. The never-ending journey of self exploration.

No comments:

Post a Comment